Most employers require applicants to complete an application form. These come in many shapes and sizes but the information being looked for is basically the same.
Before you start
Planning is important. Make sure you read the instructions on the form carefully. If it asks you to put the information in a certain order then make sure you do.
Here are some tips on filling in application forms:
- Always check the instructions for filling in the application form – for example: whether you have to write in capitals or fill in the form in black ink only
- Spell the name of the company correctly
- Prepare a draft of the application form and then transfer the information to the actual form – if you’re filling it in by hand
- Read over the job advert again and make sure the information you include on the form is relevant
- Answer all questions and fill in all the boxes
- If there are gaps in your employment history say what you were doing during that time – for example: bringing up your children or voluntary work
- Include skills that you have developed outside school / work
- Ask a friend or relative to check your application form before you send it